A Not-So Bucket List

Let me share something with you all, I've never made a bucket list.  I've never quite understood the rationale behind it, since if you aspire to do something bad enough, it prioritizes its way up the list pretty quickly.   I guess if you have specific goals that you definitely want to cross off, it's the way to go, but I never can work up enthusiasm for the concept.

But this year feels significant - and I can't quite explain why at the moment.  It's like a promise is ready to be cashed in, and I'm hoping it's for something really, really good.  Please let it be good this time - because 2010 felt the same way, and let's just say I spent more time in the hospital than I would have liked.

So I started thinking about the things I'd like to do.  I'm really happy with my overall level of busy right now, though I would like to travel more.  Other than a nebulous wish to wander the globe aimlessly taking pictures, these are the things I want to do.

1) Write a comic  - I've wanted to do this for a while, but I haven't really gotten much plot.  Lots of practice drawings and ideas, not much plot.  It would be interesting to tell a story within the confines of a graphic novel.

2) Go to an improv workshop - This isn't because at the ripe young age of 31 I've decided to shuck it all, move to Hollywood and become the next funny sidekick.  (Sidenote - if I did go into anything related to acting, it would be theatre and I would make costumes.  I can sew, but not the way I'd like to. I'd like Tim Gunn to walk past raising an approving eyebrow as I expertly tailor chiffon.  Seriously, chiffon is like freakin tissue paper.)   But I like the concept of "Yes, and" that comes from creating a scene out of thin air.  In high school theatre, I remember trying it and it was unspeakably hard for me, and I was terribly awkward at first until I got the rhythm of it.  There's also a quickness that comes from it that comes in handy in social situations.

3) Move - I'm a Midwestern girl at heart.  While I've (mostly) enjoyed my time on the East Coast, the other day I surprised myself by looking over at my husband and saying "I want to live someplace where my sister can come and visit me and drive home."  That really says it all.  She could now, but that drive home would take two days.  I'd like something a little closer.  Of course, I own a half-finished old house with boxes from my last move four years ago, but this is just a list of wants.

4) More - This is a strange thing to list, but bear with me.  I'd like to do more of what I'm already doing.  Even though I just got finished saying I like the level of busy I am now, I would like to do more drawing, editing, writing, shooting and everything else.  What can I say, I love my work.

See, I can't even get past four things on a bucket list.  Maybe I should be more  specific, but I really can't - I rebel against too many constraints, even those self induced.
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment