The Mount

There are so many great places to visit in Western Massachusetts and I have yet to discover a great deal of them.  Until my last trip to Lake George, I hadn't even really spent much time in the Berkshires, but I'm always inspired in the fall to get out more.  Productivity-wise, it's always my busiest time of year, because the colors and changes make for great photography, the weather is kinder than the heat of summer and spots have less vacationers.



The Mount was a place I discovered and fell in love with on my last trip to the Berkshires.  Originally a summer house built by Edith and Teddy Wharton, it's undergoing restoration into a historical site dedicated to the legacy of the author herself.  The house was designed by Edith Wharton and Ogden Codman, Jr (who also designed the second and third floors of The Breakers), incorporating some of Wharton's favorite European influences.  It's a beautiful site, and from what I saw of the restoration it's coming along very well.  Above is a picture of it from the back, taken from the grounds.





These are a few photos I took during the guided tour, which took the group through most of the house and explained the process of renovation, as well as the history of Edith Wharton and the home.  There's the option of the guided tour, which I recommend, or to go through the house and grounds on your own.  I'd really love to go back and see how much has changed since my initial visit.  If you have the chance to visit, let me know what you think of it.


Share

No comments:

Post a Comment