Nebula 3



As the title says, this was the third nebula I ever painted.  I was ready to give up before I made this one, because the first two were so awful, but this came out much better.  I kept working in photoshop, trying desperately to make the painting look like an actual region of space.  For an early attempt, it's quite good and I am proud of it now.

I have been trying to organize my work into a more coherent file system, and so I get to revisit a lot of my older stuff.  Lately, I've been daunted by the idea of starting yet another new thing, so it's good to get some perspective.  There was a time when all of this was new to me, and I still went forward.

As I mentioned previously, I'd like to do more.  Right now the best evolution for my space art feels like learning to be more technically precise and getting into using Bryce, which I downloaded some time ago.  Recently, I've tried doing some illustration work in a commercial capacity and while I wouldn't say it was a complete failure, I certainly learned a lot about what kind of work I do and don't enjoy creating.

My space art needs to veer off into the more accurate, scientific and detailed work that I admire.  While retaining an element of fantasy is practically guaranteed in the genre, I would enjoy making art for textbooks, journals and concepts based in fact more than pure fantasy.  I like the illustrations in old biology books and the like, and want to create more with that inspiration.

It's good to have direction when you're out in space.
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment