Fall Leaves and Underpainting


Here's another new fabric I designed on Spoonflower, appropriately titled "Fall Leaves".  I confess I meant to enter this piece in the weekly challenge for the leaves design, but I didn't finish it until after the deadline.  Oh well, at least it can still be enjoyed.  This is a little different from most of my other designs, because this was entirely done in color pencil and I like the way it came out.

Fall colors can be such a wonderful thing to capture on film, but harder to render the nuances of them while drawing.  I think of all paint, oils really make a beautiful fall scene because of the vibrancy of their colors.  But the disadvantage to using oil paint is that it takes a while to dry, so I decided to use color pencil to get more immediate results of my color mixing.

One thing I did try with this fabric that I haven't really done before was underpainting.  Empty Easel has a great color pencil underpainting article here, and I utilized the most basic concepts in making this design.  Since I only had the three leaves and not a full landscape, I just did the basic shape and filled in the leaves with the complimentary color first, then went back over it with my chosen colors.  I think it added nice depth to the drawing itself, but I'm not sure how it will come out in printing.

I've got a few more seasonal and decorative designs to put on Spoonflower this week, and then I will order some swatches.  Hopefully they will get here in time for all the approved fabrics to go on sale in December.
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment